A battery acid spill this morning resulted in fire crews being called to a generator room that provides power to Joint Communications and the Columbia Police Department.
The Columbia Daily Tribune reports firefighters responded to a report of smoke coming from the generator room shortly after 8 a.m. The generator failed to start during a routine test, according to a Columbia Fire Department news release. Fire crews found a battery next to the generator had failed and leaked battery acid on nearby equipment. A hazardous materials team cleaned up the area and removed items requiring decontamination.
A cause for the battery’s failure had not been determined Friday morning, and there is no estimate released for the damages caused by the fire.