Most Active Stories
- Why rural Missouri is losing doctors
- Would 'Right To Farm' Ballot Question Protect Family Farms Or Ag Corporations?
- Contributing to the Mayibuye Archives in South Africa
- Ameren blames EPA standards for coal plant closure, Nixon signs bill to allow less restrictions
- Views of the News: Covering gay pride at Fort Leonard Wood
Fri November 9, 2012
Columbia woman accused of killing baby arrested
A 24-year-old Columbia woman has been accused of killing an 11-week-old baby who died in May after a pacifier blocked her airway.
The Columbia Daily Tribune reports that Treschell Kemp was arrested Thursday on a Cooper County warrant and charged with second-degree murder, first-degree domestic assault and child abuse.
A probable cause statement says Kemp's suspected of causing the baby girl's death on May 14 by shoving a pacifier into the child's mouth, obstructing her airway and causing asphyxiation. Cooper County Sheriff Jerry Wolfe says in a release that Kemp was not related to the infant.
An autopsy showed the baby's death did not appear to be accidental.
Online records don't list a lawyer for Kemp, who's being held on $250,000 bond.