Most Active Stories
- Why rural Missouri is losing doctors
- Would 'Right To Farm' Ballot Question Protect Family Farms Or Ag Corporations?
- Ameren blames EPA standards for coal plant closure, Nixon signs bill to allow less restrictions
- Why the health insurance marketplace could be called a success in Missouri
- MODOT makes revisions to Amendment 7 project list
Mon December 3, 2012
Former Rock Bridge soccer player drowns during college practice
An investigation is looking at the drowning of an 18-year-old freshman on Northern Michigan University's varsity women's soccer team during a team workout in a school swimming pool.
The school in Michigan's Upper Peninsula says Arianna Alioto of Columbia, Mo., drowned Friday at the Physical Education Instructional Facility in Marquette. A crowd of at least 200 gathered Saturday night for a candlelight vigil to remember Alioto, who was redshirted this fall while recovering from a knee injury.
Members of other Northern Michigan University sports teams were among those who turned out for the vigil.
Alioto was a 5-foot-3 center midfielder who graduated from Rock Bridge High School. Northern Michigan University plans a news conference Monday.