The investigation continues into the possible contamination of infant formula with a potentially fatal strain of bacteria. St. Louis Public Radio’s Véronique LaCapra has more.
So far, two infants are confirmed to have been infected by the bacterium Cronobacter sakazakii. Ten-day-old Avery Cornett died on Sunday after he was fed Enfamil PREMIUM Newborn powder bought at a Wal-Mart in the southern Missouri town of Lebanon. An Illinois infant sickened earlier this month has recovered.
Although there is no official recall, the retail chains Wal-Mart, Supervalu, Walgreens, Kroger, and Safeway have all removed Enfamil Newborn powder from their stores. The Missouri Department of Health recommends that anyone who has bought a can of Enfamil formula with lot number ZP1K7G printed on the bottom discard it or return it to the store where it was purchased.
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration is testing samples of multiple brands of formula collected from the infants’ homes and area stores.