Science, Health and Technology
8:56 am
Wed November 27, 2013

Myanmar skin product believed to have caused lead poisoning in two Kansas City children

Kansas City health officials say at least two area children have lead poisoning from a contaminated cosmetic product commonly used in Myanmar.

The Kansas City Star reports (http://bit.ly/1fIOfrj ) the product, which is called Thanakha, is a yellowish paste made from tree bark that is worn on the face and arms to treat acne or as a sunscreen.

The health department says the contaminated product found in Kansas City was in a silver-colored metal container with a cardboard cover featuring a woman wearing a pink dress. The label is printed in Burmese.

The health department is urging anyone who's used the product to get their blood tested for lead.