Most Active Stories
- Why rural Missouri is losing doctors
- Would 'Right To Farm' Ballot Question Protect Family Farms Or Ag Corporations?
- Contributing to the Mayibuye Archives in South Africa
- Ameren blames EPA standards for coal plant closure, Nixon signs bill to allow less restrictions
- Views of the News: Covering gay pride at Fort Leonard Wood
Thu December 6, 2012
Nixon visits National Guard members in Afghanistan
Missouri Governor Jay Nixon is in Afghanistan visiting members of the Missouri National Guard who won’t be home for the holidays.
The governor arrived in Kuwait Tuesday afternoon and visited guardsmen and women from Springfield and Sedalia before moving on to Afghanistan. Once there, he visited an engineer company from Farmington and the surrounding area: “They’re roadsweepers, it’s tough work – they’re the ones that are out there doing the hard work…every time I’m here I’m inspired by the 24-7 get-it-done attitude, and am confidient that Missourians, as usual, are not hesitating to assist when called on.”Nixon says the trip will also influence the amount of state funding he seeks for the Missouri National Guard when he prepares his proposed budget for next year.