Most Active Stories
- Why rural Missouri is losing doctors
- Would 'Right To Farm' Ballot Question Protect Family Farms Or Ag Corporations?
- Ameren blames EPA standards for coal plant closure, Nixon signs bill to allow less restrictions
- Why the health insurance marketplace could be called a success in Missouri
- MODOT makes revisions to Amendment 7 project list
Mon July 16, 2012
Nixon's re-election war chest grows
Gov. Jay Nixon is building a big bank account for his re-election campaign.Finance figures released Monday show Nixon raised $2.1 million from April through June and had $7.6 million in his account at the start of July.
Nixon's campaign said it was his strongest fundraising quarter this election cycle and that his bank account is twice as large as it was at a similar point in July 2008.
The Democratic governor will face the winner of an Aug. 7 Republican primary in which several candidates have been spending their own money. Dave Spence loaned his gubernatorial campaign $500,000 this past quarter, raising the total he put into his campaign to about $2.8 million. Fred Sauer loaned his gubernatorial campaign $218,000. Bill Randles also has loaned his campaign money.