Most Active Stories
- Why rural Missouri is losing doctors
- Would 'Right To Farm' Ballot Question Protect Family Farms Or Ag Corporations?
- Ameren blames EPA standards for coal plant closure, Nixon signs bill to allow less restrictions
- Why the health insurance marketplace could be called a success in Missouri
- MODOT makes revisions to Amendment 7 project list
Fri December 6, 2013
President Obama Lights National Christmas Tree
Originally published on Fri December 6, 2013 5:20 pm
President Obama threw the switch on the National Christmas Tree on Friday amid a constant rain that soaked many of the estimated 17,000 attendees.
"We're going to start at 5 since it's a little wet and we shouldn't start at 10," the president said before hitting the switch that lit the giant tree.
The ceremony was accompanied by celebrity performances from Mariah Carey, Aretha Franklin and others.
You can watch the festivities here or follow on Twitter at #nctl2013:
The annual event has been tradition since President Calvin Coolidge performed the first lighting in 1923.