Most Active Stories
- Why rural Missouri is losing doctors
- Would 'Right To Farm' Ballot Question Protect Family Farms Or Ag Corporations?
- Ameren blames EPA standards for coal plant closure, Nixon signs bill to allow less restrictions
- Why the health insurance marketplace could be called a success in Missouri
- MODOT makes revisions to Amendment 7 project list
Mon November 7, 2011
Traveling With The O'Rourkes On 'Holidays In Heck'
After retiring as a war correspondent, P.J. O'Rourke decided to travel for pleasure, often with his family.
He went to some dream destinations — Disneyland with the family, Ecuador's Galapagos Islands, Italy's famed modern art exhibit Venice Biennale.
He also took some less conventional journeys — a horseback trek across a mountain in Kyrgyzstan, a voyage down China's Yangzte river, a couple's bird hunting trip.
But in Holidays In Heck, he explains how all these excursions left him questioning the merits of traveling for fun, and yearning for his days spent under artillery fire.