gas leak

Schools evacuated following gas leak in Ashland

Oct 24, 2012

Southern Boone School District students suffered no injuries after a gas leak in Ashland on Wednesday. 

Lukas Udstuen / KBIA

A gas leak Tuesday evening in Columbia caused emergency officials to evacuate several businesses and close down a section of Ninth Street South.

At 4:59 p.m. the Columbia Fire Department responded to reports of a gas odor outside the construction site at 308 Ninth Street South, according to James L. Weaver, public information officer with the Columbia Fire Department.

Several nearby businesses were closed including Starbucks, Chipotle and Cold Stone Creamery, Weaver said.