Matt Pitzer won the contested Columbia City Council seat to represent the 5th Ward in Tuesday’s election. He won with 57 percent of the vote, with his opponent Arthur Jago pulling in the remaining 43 percent in the two-way race.
Gathered in back room of Sophia’s restaurant in southeast Columbia for a watch party, Pitzer was surrounded with friends and family as the votes tallied. As the night progressed, the crowd of approximately 30 people doubled and outgrew the designated watch area. Surprised by the early finalization, Pitzer make a victory speech around 8:45 p.m. with his wife, Kate, and his two boys, Jimmy, 12, and Evan, 6, by his side.