Most Active Stories
- Why rural Missouri is losing doctors
- Would 'Right To Farm' Ballot Question Protect Family Farms Or Ag Corporations?
- Ameren blames EPA standards for coal plant closure, Nixon signs bill to allow less restrictions
- Why the health insurance marketplace could be called a success in Missouri
- MODOT makes revisions to Amendment 7 project list
Thu March 7, 2013
MU Honors College graduation change draws petition
Change to MU honors College tradition upsets current student and alumni. MU’s registrar has recently decided to move May’s 2013 honors graduation from Francis’s Quadrangle to Mizzou Arena.
This has prompted over 290 students to sign a petition to not bring the ceremony back to the Quadrangle.
Senior Michelle Fiesta was the founder of the petition and states that her drive to bring the ceremony back to the quadrangle roots from her first memories as a Missouri Tiger.
“I just remember running through the columns when I first got here as a freshman,” Fiesta said. “And I know I’ll run through them again when I graduate.”
The upcoming location change has also affected those who have graduated Missouri’s honors college.
Alum Amanda McCambridge said having graduation at the quad was one of her best memories of college.
McCambridge said her May-graduating sister had high expectations for her graduation
“She had watched me graduate on the quad four years ago, and was really excited to do the same,” McCambridge said. “But now she is a little bummed that she won’t have the same experience.”
The University has heard the students’ complaints and has agreed to meet with Fiesta on March 15.