Most Active Stories
- Would 'Right To Farm' Ballot Question Protect Family Farms Or Ag Corporations?
- Ameren blames EPA standards for coal plant closure, Nixon signs bill to allow less restrictions
- Why the health insurance marketplace could be called a success in Missouri
- MODOT makes revisions to Amendment 7 project list
- Why rural Missouri is losing doctors
Fri January 4, 2013
Nixon taps 2 lawyers for Mo. university board
Gov. Jay Nixon has named two Democratic lawyers to the board that oversees the four-campus University of Missouri system.
The appointments of John Phillips and Michael Ponder to the University of Missouri Board of Curators were announced Friday. They would serve until 2019 if the appointments are confirmed by the state Senate.
Phillips, of Kansas City, and Ponder, of Cape Girardeau, both earned law degrees at the university's flagship campus in Columbia — Phillips in 1971 and Ponder in 1990. Phillips practices with the firm of Husch Blackwell and Ponder with the firm of Cook, Barkett, Ponder and Wolz.
Ponder has served on the State Board of Education since 2009. Phillips has been involved with civic, business, education and health organizations in Kansas City for the past four decades.