Most Active Stories
Thu July 25, 2013
These are the people that will find the next MU chancellor
The University of Missouri system has announced its 18-member committee that will lead the search for the new Chancellor of MU’s Columbia campus. The announcement Thursday afternoon comes on the heels of two public forums this week discussing the search. UM system spokesperson John Fougere says those hearings and the appointment of the committee were two important steps in the process. He says the next is when the committee first meets in the next couple weeks.
Current Chancellor Brady Deaton is set to retire on November 15th, and Fougere says the goal is to have a new chancellor hired before the end of the fall semester.
“We realize that it’s a timeline that’s aggressive, but certainly we also believe that it is reasonable given the market (for potential candidates) and the attractiveness of the University of Missouri. So, it’s a realistic and attainable goal, but we will not, however, sacrifice quality for time. Our focus is on finding excellence for MU that befits the status as a AAU land grant institution,” Fougere said.
UM Curator and Columbia resident Ann Covington will co-chair the search committee with Dean of the MU Journalism School Dean Mills. The 18-member committee is also made up of faculty, staff, alumni, students and retirees.
Covington told KBIA she wants to wait to comment on the search until the board is able to meet for the first time. Fougere says UM system President Tim Wolfe wants the committee to narrow the search down to a small pool of finalists that he can review. Fougere says it will be a national search, but internal candidates will also be considered.
Here is the list of the committee members, provided in the UM system press release:
- Ann Covington, Curator, University of Missouri Board of Curators
- Dean Mills, Dean, School of Journalism
- James Birchler, Curators Professor of Biological Sciences, College of Arts and Science, Member of the National Academy of Sciences
- Nick Droege, President, Missouri Students Association, Undergraduate Student: Biology
- Joan Gabel, Robert J. Trulaske Sr. Dean, Robert J. Trulaske Sr. College of Business
- Anita Hampton, Vice-Chair Communications, Extension State Council, University of Missouri Extension
- Jana Hawley, Professor and Department Chair, Textile and Apparel Management, College of Human Environmental Science
- Ellis Ingram, Sr. Associate Dean for Diversity and Inclusion, Associate Professor, Department of Pathology and Anatomical Sciences, School of Medicine
- Tracey Mershon, President of the Mizzou Alumni Association
- Deborah S. Noble-Triplett, Assistant Vice President, UM System
- James Pace, Alumnus, Retired CEO of ROM Corporation
- Cheryl B. Schrader, Chancellor, Missouri S&T
- Gary L. Smith, Director Emeritus of Admissions and Registrar (retiree), MU
- Rebecca Stafford, Chair Staff Advisory Council
- Jinglu Tan, Director, Division of Food Systems and Bioengineering; Professor and Chair, Biological Engineering
- Mitch Wasden, Chief Executive and Operating Officer, University of Missouri Healthcare
- William Wiebold, Professor of Plant Sciences, Division of Plant Sciences, College of Agriculture, Food and Natural Resources, MU Faculty Council
- Jacob ‘Jake’ Wright, President, Graduate Professional Council, Doctoral Student: Philosophy